Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Look for card inspiration in a layout sketch!

If you have a pile of paper scraps and are looking for a way to put them to use, how about making a few cards? And if you aren't typically a card-maker (or even if you are) and would like some inspiration to get you started, try looking at a layout sketch - they aren't just for pages anymore!

To show you what I mean, I'll take a closer look at the challenge I posted for our online crop over the weekend. You can check out the challenge thread here (and there is still time to get your challenge entry in for the crop!). My challenge was to make a set of 3 "matching" cards, with each card inspired by a layout sketch. You can either tie them together by using the same paper line, similar colors/themes, or a similar design. You can use 3 different sketches, or use one sketch and create multiple designs (by flipping, rotating, or using differents parts/elements of the sketch for each card).

Here are my cards, with each sketch that inspired the card. I coordinated my set by using the gorgeous We R Memory Keepers Grandma's Kitchen collection for all three.

First I used this sketch from January 30:


to inspire this "hi friend" card:


I used the top border design and the bottom circle elements from the sketch on my card.

Next I used this sketch from March 13:


to inspire this birthday card:


I used most of the sketch elements other than the photo and the journaling block.

Finally, I used this sketch from March 27:


to inspire this happy birthday card:


I used the same paper design including the bracket edge along the bottom (which I cut with my Pazzles), and incorporated the circle elements but made the larger circle a half-circle, which balanced better on the smaller project and provided a perfect place for the sentiment.

Now it's your turn! I can't wait to see how you let a layout sketch inspire your cardmaking!

- Debbie

No comments: